If you want to get in touch please read how.
I studied Applied Mathematics at the University of Twente, and obtained an MSc in 1983. My field of study was combinatorial optimization and notably graph theory. In 1988 I was awarded a Ph.D. in computer science from Leiden University, where I researched modeling operating systems (and actually built something close to the real thing). After my graduation, I spent approximately five years working for TNO research, and switched back to academic life in 1993 (Erasmus University Rotterdam), to join VU Amsterdam in 1994 as an assistant professor. I was appointed full professor in 2002, and became head of the Computer Science department in 2010 and remained so until moving to the University of Twente in 2015.
You can find more on my research, publications, colleagues, and textbook writing elsewhere. Next to this fun stuff, I now lead a busy (research management) life as scientific director of DSI, but also as chair of IPN, a national platform representing all academic ICT research in The Netherlands.
- In November 2013, we attempted to write a book in five days, on adaptive collective systems. In the end, it’s more of a (long) position paper, beautifully published. Check it out.
- In September 2013, I biked from the North Cape to Oslo. It was great. If you want to know more, drop me a note.
- I made a small video on how I see the future of Computer Sciences. There’s work to do.
Some extra stuff I (used to) do
- Member of the NWO-Science Board [as of 1 January 2020]
- Chair of ICT-Research Platform Netherlands (IPN) [until 1 January 2020]
- Chair of the NWO Informatics advisory committee [until 1 January 2020]
- Member Netherlands Academy of Technology and Innovation (AcTI)
- Member Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities (KHMW)
- Advisor of Hadean Supercomputing
- Chair of the Steering Committee for ICT.OPEN
- Member board Netherlands Institute for Research on ICT (NIRICT)
- Adjunct professor of Amrita University
- Recent editorial boards:
- Associate editor IEEE Internet Computing (2007-2019)
- Field editor Springer’s Computing (2010-2019)
- Section editor Advances in Complex Systems (since 2012)
- Member advisory board Iran Journal of Computer Science (since 2017)
- Associate editor ACM Transactions on Autonomous Systems and Adaptive Systems (since 2019)
A personal note
I grew up with Dr. Seuss and for years I had the following on my Web site (which was forgotten when moving to WordPress). Thank you Gabriele Laurenzi for pointing out this omission!
My life in Twente
I still live in Leiden, which is some 200 kilometers from Enschede, and about 2,5 hours when taking the train. To make matters sustainable, we have a cottage close to Eibergen, situated on 1.5 ha (3.5 acres) of land with trees and meadow. It takes some 50 minutes by speed-pedelec to get me to or from the university. Such places make life very enjoyable, also considering their locations in the beautiful regions of Twente and the Achterhoek.
(Move mouse over drawing to see the original photo taken in January 2017)